Update: CA Proposition 65
Amendments to the 1986 California state law known as Proposition 65 went into effect on August 30, 2018, requiring manufacturers and retailers who sell goods in the state of California (online or via brick and mortar locations) to include detailed warning labels that alert California consumers to any toxic chemical-containing products known to cause cancer or reproductive toxicity by the State of California.
- Proposition 65 Warnings Website: www.p65warnings.ca.gov
- Outdoor Industry Association webinar outlining changes and manufacturer/retailer compliance requirements
- Frequently Asked Questions about Clear and Reasonable Warnings, prepared by the California Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment
CA Adds Soluble Nickel to List of Prop 65 Toxic Chemicals
On October 26, 2018, the California Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment (OEHHA) added nickel (soluble compounds) to its list of Prop 65 chemicals, based on a recommendation from the Developmental and Reproductive Toxicant Identification Committee (DARTIC).
Nickel (soluble compounds) is somewhat common in consumer goods, and has been determined to cause male reproductive toxicity. Warning labeling requirements will phase in after a one-year grace period and could apply to any products that contain soluble nickel in any amount, as a “safe harbor” threshold for the chemical has not been established by the OEHHA. For more information and to track future developments, please visit the OEHHA website.
ACT Lab Expands China CMA Scope to Include GB Standards
ACT Lab recently added a new accreditation to its testing repertoire: the Chinese Guobiao (GB) National Standards. With this authorization, ACT Lab is officially approved to test toys and cycling products intended for the Chinese domestic market.
These GB standards are similar to EN/ISO European standards and required for products that are sold in domestically China, whether they are produced locally or imported.
ACT Lab’s accreditation encompasses the following categories:
- GB 6675.4-2014 Safety of toys part 4: Migration of certain elements
- GB 24613-2009 Limit of harmful substances of coatings for toys
- GB 6675.2-2014 Safety of toys part 2: Mechanical and physical properties
- GB 3565-2005 Safety requirements for bicycles
- GB 14746-2006 Safety requirements for bicycles for young children
Welcome, New Clients:
Now’s the Time to Schedule 2019 Testing
ACT Lab can help your organization with testing and compliance. Please contact us at (562) 470-7215 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your company’s specific needs, discuss scheduling, and learn how ACT Lab can help.