It’s never been a better time to make your mark in the electric mobility industry in Canada. Whether you are already a manufacturer of electric transportation devices like e-bikes or are considering entering the space, there are important factors to recognize before you hit the market with your product.
With continued surging fuel prices and a push for a more eco-friendly future, more Canadians are looking for ways to travel in ways that are safe, fast, affordable, and kind to the planet. The right e-bike can check all of these boxes. Based on current statistics, the global e-bike market is expected to grow 12.26% by 2027. All of these facts make it the perfect time to scale your e-bike operation in a safe and sustainable way.
Canadian manufacturers of e-bikes have particular regulations they must understand and adhere to before allowing riders to use their bikes. By partnering with an experienced product testing company like ACT LAB, you can ensure your e-bike meets all regulations and keeps your company and your customers safe.
E-Bike Regulations in Canada
If a bicycle’s assisted speed is less than 32kmh it is considered unregulated and not covered by any prescribed vehicle class by Transport Canada. If max speed is limited somehow then it is first considered by its unlimited potential speed. Per the current Motor Vehicle ACT for Motor Assisted Cycles continuous power output must not exceed 500W nor provide power assistance above 32kmh on level ground.
If these definitions are not met then the e-bike becomes a regulated vehicle and is subject to compliance requirements based on the vehicle it most closely resembles(scooter, motorcycle, motor tricycle). The class requirements for a restricted use vehicle (RUM) mandate the inclusion of:
- Light systems and reflective devices
- Vehicle Identification Number
A full listing of requirements for RUM as well as scooters, motorcycles and motor tricycles can be found here.
Laws for riders and for labels on e-bikes vary by province. Manufacturers can read about provincial regulations in detail here.
You will need to apply for a national safety mark (NSM) per Section 3. More information on what it is here. The e-bike will need to meet the requirements of the defined class as outlined by Schedule III of the MVSR in order to qualify for the mark.
Apply for the NSM by requesting an NSM application package directly from Transport Canada as noted below:
- Request an NSM application package from Transport Canada using the contact information provided at the bottom of this page, clearly indicating the class of vehicle you manufacture. Once you receive the package, read the instructions carefully and submit all the information as requested.
- It is imperative that an individual within your company is specifically assigned to understand your legal responsibilities associated with manufacturing vehicles. The individual should be familiar with the applicable Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (CMVSS), certification analysis and procedures, establishing and maintaining certification records, ensuring that the required labels are affixed, etc.
- If you are unsure of the information you are required to submit, or if you need help in determining if your application is complete, various consulting agencies and trade associations can provide you with assistance.
- How long does it take to get a NSM? The time it takes to process a NSM application depends on the quality of the application provided. The entire review process takes four to six weeks once we receive all of the information we requested.
Safety testing is an important part of bringing your e-bike into production. Whether you are selling your bike in Canada or in a global market, you may be subject to certain safety tests to show that your product meets certain regulatory standards,
At ACT LAB we perform the following safety tests for e-bikes:
- UL 2271 – Batteries for Use in Light Electric Vehicles
- UL 2272 – Electrical Systems for Personal E-Mobility Devices
- UL 2849 – Electrical Systems for eBikes
ACT-LAB is an ISO/IEC 17025 accredited laboratory that conducts consumer product safety and compliance testing for an active world. We can help ensure that your products both meet industry standards and are inspected to ensure the utmost quality.
To learn more about our tests contact us today.
Read more about our accreditations here.